Mixed Cases

Federal Employee Law – Mixed Cases

Federal Employees and Mixed Cases

Federal employees are afforded certain rights and appeals opportunities that private sector employees aren't. One of these rights is appealing adverse employment decisions, including:

  • Job removal
  • Suspensions
  • Involuntary retirement
  • Whistleblower retaliation
  • Wrongful termination.
  • Mixed cases

Mixed cases are probably the most challenging and confusing types of appeals. If you find yourself with a mixed case situation, it's imperative you hire a federal employment attorney to assist you in making optimal decisions. Ronald P. Ackerman, P.C. is a Los Angeles lawyer with years of experience in federal employment law and can help you with your case.

Mixed Cases Explained

Typically, when a federal employee wants to appeal an adverse employment decision, they go to the Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB), created specifically for federal employees. However, in a mixed case situation, you actually have the right to appeal or challenge an action in two venues — the MSPB and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). You have a mixed case if your appeal has to do with discrimination or an adverse activity related to a protected class to which you belong.

As a federal employee, you have the right to choose in which forum you want to first bring up your claim. If you bring it up in EEOC, it's called a "mixed case complaint." If you go to the MSPB, it's called a "mixed case appeal." These two processes are handled quite differently, and if you don't follow the process correctly, you may end up losing your appeal completely. It's imperative you work with a federal employment attorney with the know-how to follow through efficiently.

A Los Angeles Federal Employment Attorney Assists with Mixed Case Appeals

The mixed case process is complex — probably more complex than any other MSPB appeal. Ensure you work toward the best possible outcome by consulting with an experienced Los Angeles attorney who focuses solely on federal employment law. Contact my offices, Ronald P. Ackerman, P.C., for a confidential consultation at 310-649-5300 today.